Thursday, March 10, 2005

Startling realization for the day

I have no ankles!

They have been completely swallowed up by my calves, and even they aren’t looking so hot these days. I know people have been telling me it looks like the baby is dropping, but jeez…I didn’t think this kid would take over my ankles too!

I shouldn’t be surprised, if my stomach and diaphragm can move up under my ribs, why can’t my innards move downwards too?

I’ve been trying to do all the right things to minimize swelling, but there are just some things I will not subject myself too!

I absolutely, unequivocally forbid myself to wear any maternity support stockings. I can’t stand wearing stockings of any sort! (Not that I’d brave wearing a skirt these days anyways, my unshaven legs and missing ankles leave much to be desired)!

I know crossing your legs while sitting will increase the chance of swelling, but I am a lady, therefore, I cross my legs! (Unless of course I am just sitting at my desk at work and no one is around. I’ve devised my own make shift stool so I can sit comfortably with my feet propped up in the air all day).

I’m guilty of not stretching enough during my long hours of sitting at the computer, but shouldn’t the horrendously UN-stylish shoes I have been forced to wear this entire pregnancy help make up for the lack effort in stretching?

I do drink plenty of water, exercise regularly and eat well. One would think all the GOOD things I do to minimize swelling would help counter balance all the things I don’t do. When it comes to pregnancy however, as I have quickly learned, it’s all or nothing, and even if you give it your all, your body has wonderful ways of surprising you most of the time.

I’m predicting my wedding rings will the next thing to go! Wonderful! The last thing I need is all those judgmental people out there who, after casting a glace at your belly immediately turn their gaze to your left hand in search of a ring on your finger.

I suppose I could always offer them up another finger….

3 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous hollered...

To be honest, I really like the maternity socks. They really helped me in my first pregnancy. But otherwise I stil felt like a whale all over. As far as my wedding rings go, mine are currently on a necklace that I wear.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Christi hollered...

Karla, I don't think you can stop it from happening. It will, whether you like it or not, so don't stress. I lost my wedding band about halfway through TJ's pregnancy, and haven't put it back on yet. My students are still shocked when they find out I'm married. They always say, "You don't have a ring on." I am quick to point out that I know I'm married, and a ring means nothing at all as far as proving that. I remember when my ankles swelled up, though. I had been out shopping with my mom, and I walked way more than I should have. When I got home, my ankles were HUGE! I lost it, and cried a little. It definitely felt wierd. I wonder when it will happen this time?

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Unknown hollered...

Don't hate me for this. My ankles and feet never swelled noticably during either of my pregnancies. I feel for you though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home