Rants from a Tired and Cranky Prego
Baby Ava had her 34 week check up yesterday. She is doing marvelous. So marvelous in fact, she managed to put on 1.5 lbs in only 2 weeks and she tips the scales at 5 lbs 12 oz.
Yikes! At this rate, we are for sure looking at almost a 9lb baby.
I certainly did not expect her to grow so large. I fact, before we started to trying to conceive, I weighted 100lbs. No joke! I fit in children’s clothing, and size 0 was often too big. I’m still shaking my head how my baby will grow to be a tenth of that weight.
While trying to conceive I started following a much more nutritiously dense diet to prepare my body for pregnancy. I worked at getting my weight up to a more healthy range for bearing a child and added another 15 lbs to my frame by the time we did actually conceive. Needless to say, due to my petit frame, I really expected about a 7 lb baby.
Don’t get me wrong. I am super excited she is growing so well and is so healthy, but I can’t help but feel somewhat intimidated by her size. The doctors seem to think it’s all about genetics, but truth be told, our families are notorious for 6 or 7 lb babies (with the exception on one cousin on my side who recently had a 10 lb baby).
I am left scratching my head trying to understand how this can be. I can’t help but feel nervous and intimidated about giving birth to such a large baby. No matter how much I learn about the experience of childbirth and what to expect, the bottom line is that I have never experienced it before and there is still that sense of the “unknown” that looms over my head.
I know small framed women are just as capable as delivering a big baby as larger framed women, but no matter how much I try and ease my anxiety within, I just can’t seem to pull myself together these days.
I know my mind is not in a very peaceful state as of late. I began to recognize my internal turmoil a few weeks back when I started listening to Marilyn Manson music again. I usually enjoy the more soothing music of Dido or Enya, but tend to regress to aggressive music when I feel frustrated.
Work is completely draining me with all that is left to complete before I start my leave and all the last minute demands being placed on me, the long commutes are becoming rather daunting, my nights are sleepless from all my tossing and turning and bathroom breaks. I can’t even fold a load of laundry without wanted to cry. Now, as the big day approaches, I just don’t feel like I have the mental energy left to prepare myself mentally and physically.
How do women cope in the last few weeks? I am finding this the most emotionally challenging part of the pregnancy. I have managed to avoid heartburn, stretch marks, constipation and hemorrhoids but would easily trade my emotionally fragile state of mind right now for a terrible case of hemorrhoids AND constipation, just to feel in control of myself again.

4 Comments:
(((karla))) you are going to do great. it IS scary. no more aggressive music to stress you out, girl! :) back to enya and dido.
i am not sure how accurate the weight predictions are. they SWORE julia was a 9-10 lb baby and ended up inducing me, and she was only 7'11'. doesnt that ease your mind a little ? :)
I've heard a lot of stories about the weight predictions being inaccurate. A friend of mine was induced a little early because they said the baby was getting too big. She only 6 lb. 2 oz. Your body was made to do this. You can do it!! Go Karla! Go Karla!
Talk to your doctor and see if you can't get induced a week early. They usually will do this (they did for TJ, and I fully intend to push for it this time, too), and that will give her one week less of growing. TJ was promised to be a big baby, and he was only 7 lbs. 13 oz. Don't worry. God will only give you what you can handle.
I fully know what you mean about this last month. It was the hardest then, and I feel it coming on already. Just today I was thinking about it, and I am already in a depression! I am two months behind you! Just think, you're almost done with work. Once that's over, you will not believe how much easier life will become. Just keep your mind and eye on the prize. Keep getting out all of your cute outfits and favorite presents and getting excited about Ava coming! Find some reason to be in her room, to reorganize or tidy up, and get into the mood of having a little baby in there. Just picture holding her and rocking her (assuming you have a rocking chair) and singing to her, and all that stuff! Instead of listening to any of your music, which will soon only be heard when you sneak it on a quick run out somewhere, get a CD of soothing music for babies, which you must have for when she comes, and listen to that. Humm along, or sing along with the songs, and just imagine her hearing the songs and knowing them when you humm them to her face to face. Oh, now I've gotten myself excited! Can you take an afternoon nap here and there to catch up on sleep? (PS-you do have something lining your bed to avoid any mishaps, right, like a shower curtain under the sheets?) Just keep in mind that the last month sucks for everyone, and you're not alone. Just keep thinking of how happy you'll be in a month. Get excited! Keep your mind on that. Also, you and Mark go out and do stuff for you when you get a chance. This is the last month of your life as Karla, wife of Mark, half of a couple. In a month you will officially become Mommy, mother of Ava, and part of a FAMILY. Enjoy it while you can, as much as you can! You will never again be able to think of yourself. You and Mark spend time together enjoying each other's presence, b/c you will not have the time or energy (yep, it gets worse!) soon to even hug, much less think about each other. Do that now, and both of you get excited about Ava! You're about to be a FAMILY! Hooray for you! (PS-in two months, I expect this same coaching right back!)
Hello
I just had to send a comment your way to hopefully make you feel better as your blog has done for me during this pregnancy.
I am just about two weeks behind you and totally understand how you are feeling. I have found this last trimester to be challenging emotionally and physically. I too have to make huge efforts getting in and out of bed and do not sleep much at night between the pain in my hips and having to pee. I do work from home several days a week (which I am thankful for) but when travel to Toronto from Durham the rest of the week it is becoming a challenge to feel good about it.
Please know that you are not alone. I keep asking - when will I feel like me again (emotionally stable able to do simple things like make dinner or go for a good walk without being totally drained)and then am terrified when I realize I may never feel like me again! So don't worry I think we all have those fears and anxieties!
The good news is there is an end in sight and you will finally be able to meet this little person that you have been dreaming about for 9 to 10 months!
Hang in there and if you can why not reconsider finishing work a bit earlier than you anticipated? If it will help you and the baby to cope with this last bit of time it will be worth it! I will be done April 1st and seeing that date get closer makes all of this easier to cope with!
Good luck and you are in my thoughts!
Post a Comment
<< Home