Prenatal Pretentiousness
Mark and I attended our first prenatal class yesterday evening. Unfortunately, we missed our first class due to our scary hospital incident.
The set up for the class wasn’t what I expected. All four walls of the room were lined with rocking chairs. At first I thought we had entered a knitting class, but quickly remembered pregnant moms (and our supportive partners) need to be extra comfortable.
The instructor arrived a few minutes early to give us a quick summary of what we had missed. I was surprised when I realized I already knew much of what she was talking about when it came to the stages of labour, and what happens to our bodies. I tried to pay attention, but it wasn’t long before the class was filling up with pregnant bellies and I became distracted. I wanted to scope out the crowd to make sure I didn’t have the biggest ass in the room. I breathed a huge sigh of relief (because I really am that vain) just as the instructor was in the middle of telling me my vagina will be 8cm dilated while in active labour. The look on her face was priceless. I’m sure she thought I was on crack, but I just pretended I didn’t notice anything.
To ease everyone into a night of talk about our vagina’s and their miraculous ability to stretch to obscene widths, the instructor decided it was best that we go around the room and describe a characteristic about our partner that we would like to see in our child. Most people wished for their child to have their parents love, understanding or patience, but I said I wanted Ava to adopt Mark’s charm and charisma. My husband has a presence about him that commands attention and can smooth talk his way through a conversation with anyone. He has a way with people (he figured out how to win me over after all), and his charisma has opened many doors of opportunity for him. Yes, Charm and Charisma are lovely qualities to have and I know our little Ava will be smooth talking me into giving her the entire cookie jar before I know it.
The class continued with discussions about various breathing techniques to cope with labour contractions. I felt retarded practicing the breathing. I know I am getting an epidural, so any sort of Lamaze breathing techniques are useless. For giggles, hubby and I practiced the breathing together anyways. One technique required a breathing pattern that was controlled by the number of fingers your labour coach holds up on one hand. Even during practice mode we started arguing about how many breaths I was taking to his fingers. He even forgot to throw me a number a few times, and I was left holding my breath turning blue waiting for him to clue in. Everyone else in the class was so attentive and serious…and here we were arguing and laughing at each other for not doing our “breathing technique” right. I’m sure it will all come back to haunt us the day this stuff really matters, but it was too funny “pretending” to be suffering through a contraction and watching everyone on the floor with their pillows “pretending” they were in labour. I guess there has to be a smart ass in every crowd.
Finally, to end the evening, we watched a video on child birth. The lady being interviewed was going to be my hero labour mom. She said her fantasy labour would have involved an epidural already in place on the car ride to the hospital. Two seconds later, the video took a complete 180 and the theme changed towards “natural” childbirth options where medication was not really encouraged. For some reason or another, once at the hospital, the woman in the movie decided she wanted to have the baby completely free of any pain medication and started preaching about how empowering the experience was and how womanly she felt. I felt like slapping the bitch! She can take her bathtub labour and shove it! Are people really THAT brave and tolerable? Obviously this video was not meant for wussies like me who have no tolerance for pain.
I hope next week we talk more about how to actually care for a newborn. That’s the stuff I really want to learn about. I just realized that I don’t even know how to change to a diaper.

9 Comments:
Hey, blogger just changed their post a comment thing...This new thing is pretty damn cool!
As far as being silly goes, I think it's pretty necessary. Yes, I know it's a serious matter but my wife and I take way too many things way too seriously. If we can laugh at ANYTHING I'll take it even if it's feeling silly doing breathing techniques.
I'm one of those drug free moms and I found the breathing techniques completely useless. Just regular, deep breathing and purposely relaxing through the pain worked for me.
You do know how to change a diaper, you just don't know it yet!
Oh man! You don't know how much joy you just brought to me with that post! I laughed out loud and made Trey drop everything to come and hear about it! When we took our childbirth classes, and had the class where we had to practice labor breathing and positions, we were just like you guys! Well, possibly worse...All of the other people were laying on the floor doing this serious counting, breathing, and holding ice (did you do that one? It's to simulate what a contraction feels like...yeah right!), and acting very involved and professional about the whole matter. Meanwhile, I'm over in the corner, cracking up and bickering with Trey the whole time! How happy I was to see that it wasn't just hard for me. That is not my kind of thing, and, like you, I had every intention of getting every drug I could get my hands on. I did, and it was great...and I'm going to do it again! It was totally worth it! Take everything they offer!
You know what's funny is that you put into words something I haven't been able to. Trey has a way about him that he gets what he wants all the time, he is loved by all, and he moves up on the chain like it's nothing. It's just natural for him. I, on the other hand, possess none of these qualities. Charm and charisma. Although, I don't know if that exactly fits Trey, those characteristics you mentioned do. I have always hoped that our children have that quality, too. If for nothing else to make their lives easier. Lord knows I have to work ten times harder for the same stuff as Trey!
Thanks again for the post. I really needed that to cheer me up after the day I had!
There's such a huge debate about the drugs vs. no drugs delivery. I think either way you go is fine. Some people just have a higher tolerance for pain. I am NOT one of those people. I can't even think about it without feeling some kind of pain. Ouch.
Wow. A big salute to all the drug free moms out there.
I wish I could say I was as brave as you. I have no tolerance for pain.
Case and point, when I had my wisdom teeth removed I was supposed to only receive the laughing gas. After sucking it back for almost a half an hour, I was still completely coherent and scared to death of being cut open. As soon as the dentist put a needle in my mouth I started freaking out. I had to be completely put under. Yes, drugs will be my friend.
Wash Lady: Hi, welcome to my blog. I've actually been to your site a few times as well as a visitor from Raindrops. :)
I did consider a natural birth, but after alot of soul searching, I couldnt find the strength in myself. I know our bodies are designed to handle having a baby, but seeing that there are relief options available to help cope, I fully hope to take advantage of the epidural.
You'll notice alot of my blog is geared towards poking fun at myself as I progress through this pregnancy. I usually take life far too seriously, so this has been my outlet to find humour and laughter in one of the biggest events of my life.
I completely agree with you that knowledge is power. I think I'm going to have to adopt my own dewy decimal system just to catalog all my pregnancy and baby books soon :) Some call it anal, but hey..what's wrong with approaching a situation from every conceivable angle? Thats how the most informed decisions are made right?
Feel free to offer any advice or opinons anytime. That's half the fun of blogging (to hear the other side of story and learn from some elses experiences). As a mother of four children, Im sure you have some amazing words of wisdom and experience to share.
Thanks for stopping by.
I agree with Gina. The thought of an epidural is terrifying to me, lol!
Karla,
I think you showed quite a bit of restraint. One mention of the word vagina would bring me out in a fit of giggles. Diane would be completely embarrassed because everyone else in the room would be nodding intently whilst soaking the info up. Me in the corner trying to stifle a giggle with the back of my hand…
Clearly anti-natal are not for me – I never actually grew up, just got bigger.
Added you to my blogroll today, as a top resource for pregnancy blogs.
Cheers
Tim
"gonnabedad.blogspot.com"
Ummm, just to quell that fear you may have now attained from hearing about a needle stuck in your back, it's nothing. I had two epidurals (the first one didn't work--and they still charged me for it!), and they put them in b/t contractions (unless it takes them 45 minutes, which it did w/my second one). Your body, for the most part, is still numb from the contraction pain when you are having it put in. I went through the pain for most of TJ's labor, and I can honestly say that the $500 a pop (yeah, two pops for TJ!) was money well spent. Just the thought of the fact that I was aware of something coming out of me, but it didn't hurt or feel like something huge coming out of something small, makes it all worth while. Ahhh, drugs...If they offer you some IV that makes you feel like you just chugged a margarita, TAKE IT! That was the best high of my life! It wasn't even in me all the way, and my speech was already slurred and I was happy. Fun stuff! If it says anything, I once had a tooth drilled w/o meds, and I was fine. I still chose the epidurals. I say you're right, kudos to those w/o the meds. I don't know how you do it!
I hope you don't think I was saying that my way is best or anything like that. I have no problem with other people using whatever drugs they want. I guess I was just commenting about myself because I find myself so interesting. (Read that with a lighthearted laugh.)
Post a Comment
<< Home