Sunday, February 06, 2005

How to quickly lighten a depressing mood

While laying in my hospital bed crying, surrounded by my husband, my mom, my dad, my mother-in-law and my father-in-law my nurse walked in and handed me a pill.

“What’s that for?” I asked.
Smiling apologetically she responded, “Oh, it’s just a stool softener…we don’t want you getting backed up lying in bed all day!”

The hue of my face must have elevated ten shades of red to match my bloodshot eyes. I guess I forgot I was supposed to leave all my pride and dignity at the door before being admitted at the hospital.

3 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud hollered...

April seems like a good month to be born, and if it's late, there' nothing wrong with May. If she's really early, well Cuppa was born in March, so that has to be good too -- spring Equinox and all that.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Christi hollered...

I just really hope you're not bashful about your body and it being seen by everyone. That was the hardest part of having TJ for me. They wanted me to strip and put on this gown that hung wide open, even with holes in the front (for nursing, but since I wasn't planning on nursing, I wasn't too keen on them). I fought taking off my bra the entire day, until I had no choice. I fretted over people coming to see me in all my glory the whole day, too. It was an ongoing joke. I kept telling my midwife that she was going to see me in the mall and recognize my butt. She would laugh and tell me that she would make sure to come up and say hi to it. I wasn't down with the whole world looking in on me. Right before it came time for me to deliver TJ, I was joking about how they were going to bring in a tour of the maternity ward and they would all see me for all I was worth. Then, when they said it was time to deliver, about ten people walked into the room! I almost died! I honestly thought it was a tour, and I was mortified! Fortunately, it was only the other ten people who needed to be there to see me in order to make sure TJ was safe and good to go. Even my mother in law stayed, which was not cool to me! I wouldn't even let Trey look down there (of course, that was mostly b/c a baby was coming out of me, and I wanted him conscious!)! Needless to say, I don't know that I will be much more open this time, even though they said I will. So, yes, you must try to leave your dignity and all embarrassment at the door, b/c you haven't seen anything yet!

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Unknown hollered...

That's so funny. I was adamant about not having too many people in the room. I am easily embarressed. I wasn't planning on having my mom there, but I changed my mind at the last minute. Someone told my brother where my room was. He walked in, but I had the curtain closed. I screamed at him to go away!

My dad died in August. When he was in the hospital a doctor came in to talk. He was like, "I have have a few questions to ask. Have you ever used IV drugs illegally? Have you ever had sex with a prostitute? Have you ever had sex with a man?" My dad got embarressed. I got up to walk out for his dignity's sake. I heard the doctor say, "Are you certain? Even if it was only once 30 years ago it still counts." Geez louise! Wouldn't you think they would consider asking me to leave for his privacy? What if the answer were yes?

Christi is right about when you give birth. I was pretty adamant about keeping people out, but right at the end a few doctors and nurses were there because Andrew was in distress. At that point I didn't care who was there! I just wanted him out!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home