Breastmilk...i'm loving it!
My decision to breastfeed was probably one of the easiest decisions I’ve ever made.
I never actually considered NOT breastfeeding. The only concern I had with exclusively feeding my baby breast milk is that Mark may not have the same bonding opportunity that I will have.
Solution? A breast pump!
Many critics will feel that the baby will have nipple confusion alternating between a bottle nipple and a breast nipple, but I feel that lack of father-baby bonding is a far greater issue to be concerned with.
That being said, I have spent the last few days reading articles, researching
Feeling armed with the knowledge I needed to walk down the breastfeeding aisle at babies R us with confidence, off I was to purchase my pump.
Now I don’t know about you, but if you just bought contraption that attaches to your nipple and pumps milk from your body, would you not feel inclined to try that sucker out for kicks? I sure did!
YIKES is all I have to say.
This simple diagram is a simple illustration of how the device works.
Let me provide my own interpretation of what it REALLY looks like
I finally understand where the term “Torpedo Nipples” comes from.
When the box says “As you pump, five petal shaped massagers flex in and out, gently massaging the area behind the nipple. The result – more milk faster”, I guess they really do mean business.
The box should clearly be labeled to provide new moms with ample warning of such surprises:
“Warning! Warning! Warning!!!!!!!!!! Nipples may stretch and distort to obscene lengths. Please exercise caution when breastfeeding baby after pumping so as not to poke her eyes out.”

6 Comments:
LOL karla, i , too, found the decision very easy- I bf both of mine and really felt it was easy and not a big deal. as for the bonding part, the pump NEVER worked for me, but i was impatient , so we supplemented with formula (prob 15 times total in one year) There are so many ways to bond, the feeding part is minimal in the whole scheme of things. good luck with the pump. Lots of "pumpers" i know went for the electric one as opposed to the manual one -apparantly it is much quicker and easier, although more expensive. if you have more kids though, it is a good investment. Did you ask for advice or opinions? LOL i feel like such a know it all sometimes because i have been there, done that. You will do great!!
Kudos to you! I did not, and will not, nurse, and for me, the decision was just as easy to make as was yours. I will tell you, though, that I am quite sure I am just as bonded to TJ as any bf mom. So, I'm quite sure that Mark will have no problems with bonding, pump or not! Trey avoided feeding TJ as much as possible, b/c that was too much like work. He and TJ are totally in love with each other! Not to mention the fact that TJ rarely sees Trey! Also, Wesley is a great dad, and even if he couldn't put his boob in his kids' mouths, you would never know it from the way they love him! Don't have too much fun with your new pump!
Okay, let the BOF comment. :)
There are so many opportunites to hold and care for babies that I really wouldn't worry about this. I often rocked the babies so mama could get some rest. We bonded very well indeed.
Congratulations on your decision. It's the natural thing to do, to say nothing about health benefits.
I had that breast pump!! I know exactly what you mean about it pulling your nipples way out. It was freaky, but you get used to it. I think it worked good. To me breastfeeding was so much easier than pumping, so it was hard for me to want to bother with pumping unless absolutely necessary. I have a lot of respect for women who go back to work and pump regularly for a long time. It seems like a lot of work! I was going to say the same as everyone else about bonding in other ways besides feeding. Also, I wanted to forewarn you not to be too worried if the baby prefers you over Daddy. It's very common even when that dad is highly involved. In my experience they outgrow it.
When I started bf with kiddo#1, my husband bought me a cow shirt. I was not amused but now later see the hilarity in it.
Karla, a great website on breastfeeding (which you might already know about ) is http://www.lalecheleague.org/
Post a Comment
<< Home