Traumatic Event!
This photograph has long been the running joke in my family about how I came to be a vegetarian!
Truth be told, I can’t remember a time I ever loved to eat meat. Even as a young kid I didn’t like hamburgers or hotdogs, and would only eat white breast meat.
I stopped eating eggs when I was in grade six (11 years old). My friends and I were convinced that the little white chunk you find in the egg yolk was the baby chicken’s umbilical cord. (Have I ever mentioned how naïve I am?). How an umbilical cord could pierce through a hard egg shell I will never know, but I was convinced, and that was enough to turn me off eggs forever.
The following year (in grade 7), I gave up meat completely, and through the years, have had my fair share of food mishaps. I have a very peculiar and strict vegetarian eating style that often leaves me feeling somewhat embarrassed or looking like a complete freak. (I’ll leave that for you to decide).
I think my biggest struggle as of late is attending business luncheons or going out for dinner at “Non Vegetarian” style restaurants. The latest incident to occur was our department Christmas lunch at The Keg Steakhouse. What might you suggest a vegetarian do in this situation? Part of me didn’t want to attend, as I was slightly miffed that a vegetarian eating preference was not taken into consideration when choosing a restaurant, but the other part of me also realized that the majority absolutely would love a scrumptious steak dinner for lunch.
So what is a vegetarian to do you might ask? Why, we order 18 side dishes! I always feel so foolish ordering from this section of the menu. “Umm…yes, I will take a side of asparagus, a side of cauliflower, a side of mash potatoes, a side salad, a side of carrots, and oh yes, I’ll just be hiding under the table when you bring me 18 separate plates food! The absolute worst was at a different business function where the restaurant of choice had not one item on the menu I could stomach (and much to my embarrassment and horror, I learned that a shitake mushroom was NOT pronounced shit-take, but rather shi-tah-kee). I ended up ordering a plate of fruit! How silly that must have looked. I simply claimed my stomach was in knots and I wanted something “light”.
My husband even finds my avoidance of delivery pizza rather peculiar. I will not eat it because the knife used to cut a vegetarian pizza could have been used to cut a meat pizza! That means MEAT JUICE is deposited on my lovely meatless pizza. No can do!
I suppose the fact that I do not eat “veggie burgers” would seem strange to most, but they just look like meat, so they’re a no go as well.
There you have it. You now know of my rather strange food idiosyncrasies.
Tease away!

6 Comments:
Well I definitely agree on the breast part.
I rather enjoy breasts in all of it's incarnations
8-)
Hi Karla
Anvilcloud passed along the comment you made on his blog about my blog, so I thought I would stop by and read your blog and say hello. Hello! Whew, that sounded complicated didn't it?
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you visit me again soon. I enjoyed reading your blog and will be back to read more on a regular basis.
Take care and enjoy this beautiful snowy day.
If it makes you feel any better, I often order sides instead of the actual meals, and I'm not a vegetarian. The whole pizza thing, strange, but I can see it.
Hi, Karla. I'm popping over here from Christi's blog. I'm a vegetarian too. I am exactly as weird about it as you. Well, I don't consider it weird, lol. I make them clean the blade when they cut my pizza. I know exactly what you mean about meat juices. I have it really good now because as a stay at home mom I can eat whatever I please without the worry of business lunches and stuff. I didn't eat veggie burgers for long time, but my husband and kids like it, so I got used to the idea. The hot dogs are just too realistic though. About the eggs, I thought the little white thing was like the umbilical cord. Not to the mother, but to the yolk. Like a baby's umbilical cord goes to the placenta, the chicken equivalent of the placenta is the yolk. Nobody ever told me that was true, I always just thought it seemed reasonable.
Hi Karla
How nice to hear that you have been reading and enjoying my blogs. That makes me feel great, it really does. I write for my own enjoyment and love it, but it is an added bonus to hear that others are reading what I write and maybe even getting a chuckle or two out of it. How neat.
Blogging is so much fun and almost addictive isn’t it? I have kept journals for years, but this is a whole new experience for me, to write something and hit the “publish” button to put it out there into cyber space. There is something so satisfying about “publishing” your work instead of just “posting” it, even if you are sure only two people are reading it. You just never know, two might grow to three and it is so exciting when you discover that it is four or maybe more.
I am still working on “trying different” in our search for answers about moving, and it sure isn’t simple. Life never is though is it? I am not sure what “different” is, or where that “open door” is, but for now I have stepped away from “the glass” and am letting my spirit rest. I am focusing on other areas of my life and that brings a certain amount of peace.
Riverwood is a wonderful place for quiet contemplation and I am taking advantage of every minute of it. Maybe I will see where the “open door” in my life is by the time we leave here at the end of the month.
Thanks again for writing. I look forward to “talking” to you again.
How odd to see Cuppa's comment here. One can't help but observe that brevity is not her long suit -- not even in the comment section. Gotta love the differences in people -- makes life so interesting. Your affliction, which is what I choose to call it after a sleepless night has left me bereft of brainpower, is just one more of those interesting differences. But I must side with my brother-in-law who holds that if god didn't want us to eat animals, her wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Post a Comment
<< Home