Most Miserable Day of the Year
Today, January 24th, 2005 is being called the worst day of the year!
I laughed this morning when I heard this statement on the news. A British Psychologist who specializes in seasonal disorders has devised a formula that apparently show misery peaks today!
The model is: [W + (D-d)] x TQ
--------------------
M x NA
The seven variables taken into account are:
W - weather
D - debt
d - monthly salary
T - time since Christmas
Q - time since failed quit attempt
M - low motivational levels
NA - the need to take action
I would like to challenge Dr. Cliff Arnall's formula as today, my misery has hit an all time high. Not because winter weather is wearing me down, or because of holiday debt or failed New Years resolutions. No, my misery stems from the lack of discretion and sensitivity of dim-witted people.
Today, someone felt it necessary to let me know that it looks like I have put on a lot of weight, and that it is really showing in my face!
I tuned out the rest of the shocking comments because I could feel the familiar burning sensation in the back of my eyes that told me the tears would be starting soon, but there was another jab thrown in there about how slim and slender I used to be!
To maintain what’s left of my dignity, I have devised my own formula to calculate misery.
Stupid People * Number of Missing Brain Cells
----------------------------------------------------
Insensitivity Quotient
I wonder if Dr. Arnall needs a partner who specializes in people disorders….

5 Comments:
HOW RUDE! Why on earth would anyone with any couth say such a thing? My students point it out daily, but that's b/c they are not the wisest decision makers (ie-look at where they are!). I really can't believe that. I agree with B$ that I think you look wonderful! If you want, I will send a pic of me for you to show to that person, and their words will quickly change. Did this idiot know you are pregnant! I can't imagine anyone being so stupid, but I'm beginning to believe that people feel like they have the right to say stuff like that when you're fat, like it suddenly doesn't matter, b/c you're supposed to get bigger. A self-controlled person such as yourself obviously wouldn't have hit said person, but don't you think it would have been nice?
As for today being miserable, I heard that, too. I agree, though, and for those reasons. It's a little scary, b/c today, specifically, I am feeling the worst I have in a while about our whole economic situation. As well, the full weight of having another kid is just now hitting me. I don't know how he could come up with such a formula, but it is scary that it has to be today of all days!
I have seen your pictures. I swear I am not trying to be nice. You look INCREDIBLE. What I would give to be half as slim as you!!
For different reasons, this article struck a chord with me too and is reflected in what I just posted. People will think we're in cahoots.
Ahhh Geeee
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Up until today I really did think I was looking pretty good and handling the pregnancy thing really well. I know I poke fun at myself in my blog, but that’s all it is, a little gentle teasing of my own condition. My goodness, I cant imagine going through this without a sense of humour!
Anyhow, it really hurt when I heard those words today (I am only human afterall), but I’ve let it go.
As long as my baby is growing and healthy, that is all I am going to concern myself with these last few weeks ��
�he pregnancy.
Hi Karla
My weekend with my company is behind me now, so I can settle back into my normal routine and catch up on email and blogs. I sure laughed this morning when I saw the picture you posted of the chipmunk. I am sure that is how you felt, but NOT how fat your little cheeks LOOKED to your co-worker!!!! People really do say the stupidest things don't they. Makes you wonder if they think pregnant women don't mind being insulted. Good grief! Take heart, and keep enjoying every minute of your wonderful pregnancy. It is such a special time of your life. Seems like it lasts forever when you are in the middle of it, but it really passes very quickly, so let the rude comments roll off your back and just enjoy being beautifully pregnant. Because that is what you are - beautifully pregnant.
As you can see from my blog, we had an interesting but fun weekend. I love having company, but I also like getting back to the routine of my normal day after a busy time like that.
I only had time to briefly respond to your comment last week, but it has been simmering on the back burner of my mind and I keep coming back to that word balance. That is the key isn’t it? There are times when we have to go flat out and keep our feet moving as fast as we can, but we can’t go at that speed indefinitely. For everything there is a season, and we have to learn to move from one season to the other and enjoy the gifts each one has to give us.
When I was younger and had small children at home I ran myself ragged trying to be “all things to all people". After all, wasn't being busy doing, what gave me meaning and worth? I carried my day planner around with me and had every minute planned and accounted for. List, upon list, upon list!
During that time I came upon a book entitled “When I relax I feel guilty” and it jumped off the shelf at me. That is exactly how I felt, guilty, when I sat and put my feet up. It was years ago I first picked up that book, and I am still learning the lessons it had to teach me. How I spend my seconds, minutes and hours is how I spend my life. I won’t have any of them again, so I had better pay attention to the ones I have and spend them wisely. We don’t have to be busy, to make wise use of our time. That is the big myth to get past isn’t it?
I remember only the gist of this quote I have in a book at home… “The rabbit has speed and gets there faster, but the turtle knows more about the road at the end of the journey” Kahlil Gibran
I determined that I wanted to know more about the road and to have enjoyed the journey when I got to the end of it, not just gotten there in record time, having marked the most things off my “to do” lists!!!!
Balance, balance, balance! I keep coming back to that word. The busy times make the quiet times more wonderful and visa versa. Listen to that still small voice in the core of your soul, it won’t guide you wrong when you are looking for balance in your life. You have to sit still and be quiet in order to hear it though. It doesn’t speak in the busyness of doing, but in the quietness of being.
Post a Comment
<< Home