Hibernating Through a Blizzard
Yesterday we were expecting our friends over for dinner. They live about 40 minutes away in Newcastle, and it’s always such a pleasure when we get to see them. They just got back from their third trip to Las Vegas in 2004 and we were excited to hear all about their vacation.
They absolutely love Las Vegas, and it was through their enthusiasm and recommendations that Mark and I decided to go to Vegas last summer (you can watch our Vegas video on his blog if you like…see the right hand navigation bar titled Daemon Cain's Video Collection
We had planned a fun filled evening of talk, laughter, beer (or juice if you happen to be pregnant), snacking and of course, Vegas Monopoly. I love a good game of monopoly. I am always a big risk taker. Mark on the other hand, plays the game with much more caution and usually come out on top.
Now that I have completely detoured from my original train of thought (have I mentioned the “Pregnancy Stupids” before?), around 2:00 in the afternoon I realized that all seven of my salad dressings had expired!
Mark also realized that his favorite beer accessories (Doritos) were missing in action. I had also forgotten to buy some garlic bread. It doesn’t matter what we’re eating, garlic bread is a staple and tradition for every meal we have with Rich and Ang. Be it steak on the barbecue, Chicken Parm, Burgers or Pizza, you’ll always find a slice of the delicious bread on our plates.
Peering out windows in our sun porch my heart quickly sank. It was a blizzard outside and there was snow almost up to my knees at the front door. Feeling doubtful our friends will be able to make it, I still ventured out in the blizzard to the nearest grocery store to fetch our necessities! The roads were treacherous, the wind was biting cold and I was probably the only fool out driving. I thought it be best to call our friends when I got home and advise them not to even attempt to drive in these weather conditions. Mark delivered the news for me however, when I arrived home that our friends wouldn’t be able to make it. Disappointed, I completely understood. Even with their 4x4, it would be silly to drive the 401 series highway in those conditions.
So what is a girl to do when the whole afternoon opens up and she is stuck indoors? Why, go into hibernation mode and sleep of course! I laid down for a nap around 4:00 and slept until 6:00 pm! Upon waking, Mark and I cooked our dinner, I worked out on the treadmill, watched a bit of television, and then I was back in bed by 10:00 and out like a light until 9:00 this morning.
Mark just came into the bedroom and announced he is going out to shovel. I looked up in sheer pity…the poor guy just shoveled a wallop of the white stuff yesterday. “Have fun! I’ll keep the bed warm!” Oh the small pleasures of pregnancy! No heavy lifting for me! I get to sit here warm and cozy in bed, snuggled in with my notebook computer, two cats and my favorite Dido tunes.
They absolutely love Las Vegas, and it was through their enthusiasm and recommendations that Mark and I decided to go to Vegas last summer (you can watch our Vegas video on his blog if you like…see the right hand navigation bar titled Daemon Cain's Video Collection
We had planned a fun filled evening of talk, laughter, beer (or juice if you happen to be pregnant), snacking and of course, Vegas Monopoly. I love a good game of monopoly. I am always a big risk taker. Mark on the other hand, plays the game with much more caution and usually come out on top.
We liken our approach to monopoly to our investments strategies. Perhaps I should take the fact that I almost always lose at Monopoly as an omen, but so far I haven’t lost our nest egg. I’m going with the theory that I’m young, and now is the time to take a few financial risks. I’ll move over the GIC market when my retirement years start looming closer. Our monopoly modus operandi also resembles our general personality traits. Mark is very patient and big picture focused. I on the other hand, am much more day to day focused and detail oriented. Patience is certainly not my virtue.
Now that I have completely detoured from my original train of thought (have I mentioned the “Pregnancy Stupids” before?), around 2:00 in the afternoon I realized that all seven of my salad dressings had expired!
(I haven’t been much interested in salads throughout this pregnancy…chocolate and rice krispi squares have been much more satisfying. Granted, not as healthy, so let’s give three cheers for V8! Three servings of veggies in a can that you gulp down in seconds...yes please!
Mark also realized that his favorite beer accessories (Doritos) were missing in action. I had also forgotten to buy some garlic bread. It doesn’t matter what we’re eating, garlic bread is a staple and tradition for every meal we have with Rich and Ang. Be it steak on the barbecue, Chicken Parm, Burgers or Pizza, you’ll always find a slice of the delicious bread on our plates.
Peering out windows in our sun porch my heart quickly sank. It was a blizzard outside and there was snow almost up to my knees at the front door. Feeling doubtful our friends will be able to make it, I still ventured out in the blizzard to the nearest grocery store to fetch our necessities! The roads were treacherous, the wind was biting cold and I was probably the only fool out driving. I thought it be best to call our friends when I got home and advise them not to even attempt to drive in these weather conditions. Mark delivered the news for me however, when I arrived home that our friends wouldn’t be able to make it. Disappointed, I completely understood. Even with their 4x4, it would be silly to drive the 401 series highway in those conditions.
So what is a girl to do when the whole afternoon opens up and she is stuck indoors? Why, go into hibernation mode and sleep of course! I laid down for a nap around 4:00 and slept until 6:00 pm! Upon waking, Mark and I cooked our dinner, I worked out on the treadmill, watched a bit of television, and then I was back in bed by 10:00 and out like a light until 9:00 this morning.
Mark just came into the bedroom and announced he is going out to shovel. I looked up in sheer pity…the poor guy just shoveled a wallop of the white stuff yesterday. “Have fun! I’ll keep the bed warm!” Oh the small pleasures of pregnancy! No heavy lifting for me! I get to sit here warm and cozy in bed, snuggled in with my notebook computer, two cats and my favorite Dido tunes.

1 Comments:
Yeah, Trey had to be at work at 11 today, and yet, this morning when TJ came into our room at 8, he was so sweet to get up with him and give him his medicine and stuff. It was great! I've decided that perhaps I should just stay prego from now on!
Post a Comment
<< Home