Dreaming of Baby
I had a strange dream last night about the baby.
My dream started out quite normal. I was enjoying feeling my baby moving around in my stomach. The difference was, I was able to clearly make out what body part was moving. As I would rub my tummy, I could feel little baby feet. I could trace the outline perfectly and even feel the ripples of 5 little toes too!
I remember feeling completely elated about being able to feel and tickle the two little feet of my unborn child. We were playing a game where she would push her feet up against my stomach waiting for me to tickle them, and then kick about in shear excitement from feeling the first sensations of a tickle on her sensitive little baby feet.
Later in the dream, the skin surrounding my stomach changed in texture and consistency and became extremely stretchy and thin…so thin in fact, it was almost translucent. I was actually able to see the tiny wrinkles of her toes and her miniature little toenails.
Sometimes, the baby would lunge forward, as if trying to jump out of my stomach, and although still protected by my saran wrap like skin, the way the skin hugged and conformed to her body allowed me to decipher and appreciate all her wonderful little features.
I was awoken out of my dreamlike state to the recognizable sensations of movement in my stomach. Reaching down to hug my belly, I was disappointed to discover that I couldn’t tell what part I was feeling moving across my hand. It took me a moment to realize I had only been dreaming, and then slowly drifted back to sleep, feeling comforted that it won’t be long now before I will be holding my daughter for real, and enjoying her little legs kicking up in the air as I tickle her toes.

4 Comments:
Hello there - I just had to drop you a note to thank you for your wonderful page! I live in the Durham area and like you am pregnant. I am currently 24 weeks so I am just a few weeks behind you. So, needless to say I feel I can really relate to what you've been going through.
I look forward to reading your updates as it seems we are sharing many of the same experiences. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts, frustrations and humour. Your writing makes me and I'm sure others realize that no you are not going crazy and becoming some alien - you are just pregnant and many other woman experience the same things! Thanks again and I will continue to read along!
In matters totally unrelated to your blog, I wish to share with you that the pie was kept safe and tasted great after a day like that.
Hi Karla
This is almost like emailing back and forth isn't it? My comments are getting longer and longer. Oh well, as long as we are having fun.
It is cold and WINDY here today, and that made for a very invigorating walk along the river this afternoon. We went into town this morning to pick up the tire that was being repaired and I must admit that I was a bit on edge driving after the two mishaps we have had on this trip, but we were just fine. I am sure Anvilcloud is a bit tense when he goes around corners on snowy roads now though.
You are not the first person to ask about my pen name. I even wrote a blog about it way back in May if you want to go in and have a look. It is called Tea and Memories – posted on May 30th. Yes, I do love my cup of tea and that is one reason I chose Cuppa. We enjoy watching British mysteries, and we hear Yorkshire people use that term for a cup of tea, but I also heard it used at home. So, make yourself a nice hot “cuppa” and join me for a chat.
I also have a teacup collection and that gives me a special link to the term too. The name Cuppa just seemed to fit me to a “t” and I latched onto it when I started my blog. I use it in my email too.
I don’t collect new teacups, just old ones that have a special story behind them. I have one that my dad sent to my mom from Italy when he was stationed there during the war. It has a crack in it, but that doesn’t matter. It tells a story and I love it.
Another treasured one is from my sister. Her youngest daughter died quite suddenly when she was only 5 years old. Little Elisabeth had four small china teacups and saucers that she used to play with. One day my sister Heather went into her room and saw Elisabeth sitting there, with the four teacups and saucers around her and she was talking to them. My sister asked her what she was doing and Elisabeth turned to her and said “I am having a tea party with the angels” Not long after, she really was with the angels and those cups and saucers were treasures full of priceless memories. I was very touched the day my sister let me chose one of these for my collection. It sits on top of my china cabinet right beside the one my dad send to my mom.
Yes all of my teacups have a story, and it is a dream of mine to put all these stories, along with a picture of each teacup, in a book one day.
I can relate to all that you said about keeping a balance and how hard it is. It isn’t something that you learn once and have it set in stone for the rest of your life that is for sure. It is something we have to keep learning as we go, and reminding ourselves of, over and over again. Slow down, look around, live in the moment – see it, feel it, smell it, hear it.
When we blow it and get too busy, we can just forgive ourselves, and start again with the very next breath that we take. Yes, each breath that you take is a chance to start all over again, and move your life in the direction you want it to go. Isn’t that a great picture? We can start fresh and new from right here and right now, and move forward into the rest of our lives with each breath that we take. I find that so encouraging. Stop right now and take a deep breath. Innnnnn. Ouuuuuut. Ahhh, fresh new beginning. Feels good huh?
Well, this note is getting a tad long isn’t it? Once I get started it is hard to stop!
I hope you felt very beautiful today and enjoyed every gorgeous moment of it. What a special time of life this is for you. Savour it and enjoy.
What a cool dream! I'm so excited for you! It will be soon, sooner than you know, and you will have her right there in your arms! That will be the scariest and most awesome moment of your life (and Mark's). I was just marveling today at the fact that TJ is so big now, and so capable of doing so much. Here in a few months now, we are going to start all over again! A little, tiny, helpless little person. How scary, yet EXCITING! I get to have all those moments again, and I've already started buying tiny little baby shoes! Just think, you get to have all of them soon, too! I can't wait! I watched the video of the ultrasound at school today with some of my students, and it is just so cool to see her, even if she does still look like a beaten-up alien! I know you guys are going to have so much fun! That ultrasound pic of her feet is just priceless!
Post a Comment
<< Home