Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Week 21 (13 lbs later)

I just had my 21 week doctor’s appointment today. My Obstetrician is wonderful. I am really quite lucky to have been referred to such a great OB. (You might remember my extremely long winded post about my great
Midwife vs. OB debate
.) I am extremely happy with my decision. Dr. Eltayeb is incredibly professional, yet has a sense of warmth and caring about her that immediately puts you at ease. Although her office is extremely busy (and what doctors office isn’t), she doesn’t make you feel rushed and always answers all my questions.

I have gained a whopping 13 POUNDS to date, and by belly measurements are right on track at 21cm for 21 weeks. I knew what my weight was, but that means in a month, I managed to put on 7 pounds. Holy crap batman, at that rate I’ll be a beached whale by the time 40 weeks rolls around. I don’t understand how the whole weight gain thing works anyways. I’ve been consistently eating about the same colossal amount of food the whole time and I eat quite healthy. I’m not much into junk food or fried food (oh ok…so I’ve recently taken a liking to rice krispi squares), and I do still continue to work out. I think your body truly takes on a mind of its own when you’re pregnant, and the laws of physics go right out the window.


I finally had the opportunity to discuss the results of my ultrasound. If I can quote the doctors words “The ultrasound results came out beautifully”. So our little bean is growing and healthy and measuring up just right.

Of course I had to ask again about the gender of the baby (because the Ultrasound Technician could only reveal what she “thought” the gender was), but it turns out she never recorded her prediction on the report. My husband mentioned last night that a friend of his has her own gender prediction for our baby. She seems to think the Ultrasound Technician is wrong. His friend (who has never met me by the way), said she doesn’t care what the Ultrasound lady said, because she disagrees, and to mark her words as she has never been wrong!

I think the baby’s gender will truly remain a mystery…I have not received a definitive answer. I am a fact based person. I do not believe in predictions, best guesses, old wives tales or that the alignment of the cosmos have determined the sex of my baby. Only the facts will do please.

On a different note, I had a glimpse into the feisty personality of my baby today (or at least what I will now interpret as a sign of my child’s individuality and character likeness). As the doctor was pushing her little Doppler machine around on my stomach trying to locate the heartbeat (apparently my baby is in constant motion), she finally came to rest (and push) on a spot for a split second where we heard the amplified “swisha swisha swisha…” followed by a large THUMP!!!. I guess our little baby didn’t like being poked and prodded and decided to give the old Doppler machine a good kick to get it out of their way. That’s the spirit baby! Show ‘em whose boss (but just remember I’ll always be the BIG BOSS).

1 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud hollered...

Congratulations! What a wonderful time of life you are experiencing and entering, not that I've ever been pregnant, but I'm sure you understand what I mean..

I've enjoyed reading your blog, and I like your template too. :)

BTW, the cottage where we are staying at the moment is owned by our in-laws who live in Ajax.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home