Friday, December 17, 2004

Bootie Shakin'

I work in the Information Technology field and have the luxury of working at home. Although I can randomly choose days to coop myself up in my home office, Friday’s are my official “work at home day”. I usually take Friday mornings as an opportunity to sleep in a bit. This morning I woke up to the sound of my husband getting in the shower. I had to resist the urge to go back to sleep, and dragged myself out of bed to go and check my mail before driving my husband to the Go Train station. My husband likes to blog as well and I was truly touched and heartened by his post this morning and had to link to "Following the PATH" for those who care to read it as well.

I like to take the opportunity to use my treadmill over my lunch hour when I work at home. To get my body and mind in the mood to actually spend a half an hour on an inclined hill walking at the incredibly sluggish pace of 3 mph (I am pregnant after all), I usually put on the Much Music Countdown. Rogers on Demand Digital Cable is wonderful in that I can watch such programs when I want. Actually, there are two reasons why I like to watch the Much Music Countdown, the first being that it lets me keep somewhat in the loop with what songs are “In” these days. My husband and I are always joking about how “uncool” we are (ok ok… I joke, he denies it). We are both computer programmers.

The second reason I like watching the countdown is that music motivates! A good fast song (Destiny’s Child, Lose my Breath) came on and I was just starting to get into the groove (translation -- trying to shake and move my hips like they do), when I realized how utterly ridiculous I must have looked. I had for a moment forgotten I wasn’t the tanned, cute, skinny size 0 that I used to be! I now carry a gigantic belly, have swollen legs and ankles, experience breakouts like I’m a hormonal teenager, and have developed a behind that you could rest a TV tray on! Destiny’s Child, look out, your next bootie shaking hottie HAS ARRIVED!

At least I won’t be a totally dorky mom. No one can say I don't try and keep up to date on music!



3 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger Mark hollered...

You are more beautiful every day.
You know it!

Who cares if we're not as "in" as we used to be.
I'd rather be a loser with you by my side then be cool without you.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Christi hollered...

Hi, I just read an older post of yours from October where you were debating b/t an OB and a midwife. I realize that Canada may be different, but I had a midwife for my first child, and I sought out a midwife (we recently moved to a new city) for my now four month prenancy. I would HIGHLY recommend a midwife over a doctor in a heartbeat! I saw how you felt about your treatment from your doctor, and I agree. When I first found out I was pregnant with my son, I was at my doctor's office, which I had been going to since I was 15, and loved. However, albeit a wonderful experience to find out I was pregnant, I really didn't like the treatment I got, and the rushed feeling. When we moved (we move often b/c of my husband's job), I was told by my sis-in-law to try a midwife. I thought, as most do, that that meant that I would have to have the baby at home or something, and that there would be no doctor involved. Not at all. I not only had the baby in a hospital, right alongside women with doctors (in my own room, of course!), but I had the BEST assistance you could ask for. If you go to a midwife that is associated with a doctor (and maybe even one that's not), you automatically get assigned a doctor that you will see if you have to, and who will do any medical treatments or whatever needs to be done. However, you also get the longer appointments, AWESOME treatment, they are usually women (which I much prefer), someone who will walk you through EVERY step and give lots and lots of advice and help, the same medical stuff, and you don't pay a penny more! What could be better? I loved my midwife so much from my son, that I continued to go to them to get my annual check-ups and everything else I could. I got to know them so well (there were five of them, and you have appts. with all of them so you will know them all and any can deliver your baby) that I ran into one at the store, and we gabbed on for a while. It was really a great experience, and one that I look forward to having again with this child. I realize that you are some ways in now, I'm guessing from that one post I saw about 4-5 months right now, but I would encourage you to at least see and try a midwife. I know you would not regret it, and judging from what you said about your doctor's experience, you would probably love it! Anyway,that's my two cents worth. I wish you good luck on your pregnancy, and I will no doubt be reading more and checking in often to see how it is going (as I am right at 4 months myself, and this is SO exciting, isn't it!)

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger karla hollered...

Hi Christi
Thank you for your comments. They have been well received. Since this is my first baby, I felt like I was treading unknown territory. I didn’t know anyone who had a midwife, and had little information about one’s experience with them to draw on. In the end, I did decide to go with the OB, but fully intend to explore a midwife when we decide to have another child. My family doctor does always seem to be a rush, but since that post I have met my OB, and she is wonderful. Albeit, always in a rush as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home