Tuesday, October 26, 2004

The "Pee Stick" that Changed my Life

Ok…Here goes. I tried the whole “blogging” experience a while back and just couldn’t get into it. I don’t know if my life was just incredibly uneventful at the time, or I just didn’t have much I wanted to share, or maybe I just couldn’t find the time. In any case, I’m here to try it again. Lots of things have changed since I last blogged. I remember wanting to start a blog as a place to vent about my frustrations about not being able to conceive. Well those days are LOOOOONG gone sister! Hubby and I are finally pregnant!

It seems like all the emotions around trying to conceive are a distant memory now. At the time, the process of baby making consumed my life. But I’m not here to dwell on that today, because I am now 14 weeks pregnant and I couldn’t be happier.

I decided that I wanted to give blogging another kick at the can. Afterall, this is such a big milestone for me and husband that I thought it might be fun to try to capture my “preggo thoughts and feelings” in a blog.

I remember the day I found out. Truthfully, I suspected a couple days before hand that I was indeed pregnant. I remember waking up on a Sunday morning not feeling so great, and my boobs hurt like crazy. I sorta ignored my gut instinct though because as I’m sure you can image, after months of wanting something so bad, I was a master at convincing myself every twitch, pain or gas bubble in my body must mean I’m pregnant.

Not wanting to go through another let down of the “uneventful pee stick”, I decided to wait to test another day just in case good old Aunt Flo paid a visit a day or two late. By Monday morning when nothing had happened, I swear I got out of bed with and actually skipped my sick ass and sore boobs to the shower. Things were looking up! All day at work on Monday I wanted to take a pregnancy test, but I waited. I wanted to be in the privacy of my own home when I learned the news.

I knew my husband was traveling and would be home a little later than usual, so I made sure I gulped a glass of water before I left work so I would be good and ready to do my pee test. Of course, as soon as I got home, barely locking the door behind me and before I even said hello the cats, I was on the toilet doing my “pee test”. It was POSITIVE!
I was shocked. No words can describe how I felt that very moment. I think every emotion that a human is capable of rushed through my body that very instant. I was so overjoyed and I couldn’t wait to share the news with my husband.

MY HUSBAND!

I had to find a creative way to break the good news! I didn’t know how long I had until he got home, so I did what any woman would do in a time of urgency….I went to the mall. I wasn’t really sure what I was looking for, but I wanted something that said “baby” all over it. After wandering around for a little while (and what a schmuck I must have looked like with such a big grin shopping at Zellers!), I decided on a baby bottle. I thought I could place it at his computer desk and just wait to see how he reacts.

I tried to remain calm and non-chalant as he came home. I thought I was doing a good job of hiding my “news” but as I would later learn, hubby totally knew something was up. As usual though, be said his hello’s and then headed off to check email. I remember the look on his face when he saw the baby bottle. His eyes lit up, he looked at me (as my tears finally started welling up) and then he sorta stuck his tough out a bit and did his happy head shake. It was a beautiful moment between us, one that we will certainly treasure forever. And what does one do in the midst of such a special moment…we freak out! OMIGOD, we need to get healthy food! And LOTS OF IT! We need milk, we need fruit, we need vegetables. So, as the new chapter of our life unfolds, the two of rush dash off to the grocery store hand in hand dreaming of what lies ahead of us….




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home